Přeskočit na hlavní obsah

Iveta Jansová: Discovering One's Privileges in the Journey of a Lifetime

Iveta Jansová is a cultural
studies scholar, and she specializes in audience, fan studies, and media representation of marginalized identities. She received her PhD and Master's degrees from the University of Palacký in Olomouc at the Department of Media and Cultural Studies and Journalism. She is an Assistant Professor, Head of Internationalization, and Deputy Head of the Department of Media Studies and Journalism Department at Masaryk University in Brno, Czech Republic. She teaches courses on marginalized identities, fan studies, and mandatory media and cultural studies intro classes. In the Summer of 2022, Iveta spent six weeks in New York as part of the Study of the U.S. Institutes (SUSI), New York University's Multinational Institute of American Studies (MIAS). The Topic of her summer stay was American Culture and Values.

Covid-19 has taken over the world
When I learned about the opportunity to apply for the summer institutes in the U.S., moreover in my dream city, New York, I was beyond happy, even though, at that time, I did not believe I could be selected. It is only thanks to my boss's support I applied and, to my utter disbelief, was later also selected. However, the situation at that time was very turbulent. When I was preparing to apply for the SUSI program, the world was going out of the worst that the COVID-19 pandemic has offered. Until the moment we left our respective countries, we were not sure we would be able to arrive in New York safely. On the day of my departure, I had to go through a Covid test, but the same day, the U.S. canceled the necessity to have one. At that moment, however, I had already taken it, so even if I did not have to have it anymore, a positive result could still hold me back from the travels. Fortunately, everything worked out in the end, and I arrived safely in JFK, New York that evening.

Photo: A view from Central Park, summer 2022. 

Feeling at home in the city of infinite possibilities
Even though the beginnings of the trip were, let's say, a bit nerve-wracking, New York was a love at first sight. I immediately felt at home and safe. No one paid me any attention on the streets, and for the first time in my life, I felt I could be anyone. The organizers had a fantastic 6-week plan for us, a program consisting of lectures and sightseeing to live through the American experience, to see and feel the values and culture. There was also a touch of freedom to our stay. The lectures and sightseeing were our first contact with the space that, however, called out for further investigation on our own if we were interested. I think I speak for everyone when I say that we were interested. We were a lively group exploring the city through cuisine, walks, and more. I personally enjoyed the benefits of using the city bikes and I biked more than 380 kilometers (230 miles) through Manhattan and all the other boroughs in my journey. While I genuinely enjoyed the official program, in which I am not afraid to say that we saw it all (Statue of Liberty, Times Square, all the boroughs and their histories, Broadway, and much more), I loved to explore on my own, on the bike or with any other scholar who wanted to join. I biked everywhere and I found my favorite spot: Brooklyn Bridge Park, overseeing Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges.

Photos: Me on a bike at Time Square and on the Brooklyn bridge, summer 2022.



One's deeply seeded privileges
Aside from the possibility to explore and learn about the city of my dreams, the most enriching part of my stay was meeting with other scholars and with some of the people in the organization team. We learned much about ourselves and others in the group through our scholarly and informal collective talks. Firstly, we had very lively discussions during the lectures. We tackled fundamental questions of identity, and it was crucial that all of our different identities could enter the conversation and shed light on the hardship they entail. In my case, I have learned about my privileges as a white, European female professor. I have always been aware of that. I teach about marginalized identities, after all, but never in my life have I had to face it so much. The everyday casual racism is just everywhere, even in very unexpected places. While all participants were professors or scholars, and we were treated with respect behind the university walls, we were treated very differently on the streets, at the airport, etc. This taught me the most; it taught me to listen more to others and their stories, and I will be forever grateful for that. One more connected issue: I could be on the site when people took to the streets to protest the overruling of Roe v. Wade. A group of us went to show our support, and it empowered us all.

Photo: Me holding a sign in a protest at the Washington Square Park, summer 2022. 
 
Friends and networks for a lifetime
I already explained that meeting and talking with others was one of the most significant gains of the whole experience. To my surprise, I feel I have found friends for life. There were a few special ones that I am still in contact with and have visited or will visit soon. A smaller group of the 2022 NYU SUSI alumni got to meet this year in Florence, Italy, during a SUSI Alumni Workshop, and it was like no time had passed. So, thank you, Fulbright Commission, for bringing these people into my life and enriching it forever. I am motivated to apply for the more extensive Fulbright scholarship when the time is due, so hopefully, this is not the last time we meet.

Photo: A group photo from NYU, summer 2022.
 
Photo: A forever running buddy, summer 2022.

Photo: SUSI Alumni of NYU in Florence 2023, summer 2022.

Populární příspěvky z tohoto blogu

Czech Prom Season: A Story of a Feathered Raffle Win

Authors: Griffin Trau, Katie Winner, Alanna Powers (current Fulbright ETAs) If you’re an American, chances are we all had similar prom experiences in high school. Usually a few weeks before graduation, boys ask girls to the prom. Girls buy a fancy dress, and boys a nice suit with a matching tie. Prom night consists of about an hour of picture taking with your date and friend group, followed by a ride to prom in a nice car or a limo. The dance itself is about three hours long, and the only people in attendance are typically students at the school with a handful of teacher chaperones. After prom ends, around 10 or 11 p.m., all the students leave and go their separate ways for the night, usually to a post-prom hang out. After attending six (and counting!) Czech proms, I can confidently state that Czech proms are nothing like American proms. At all. My school, Střední Škola Informatiky a Služeb, is a technical school with seven different concentrations of study. Of these seven, s

Katherine Pérez Rivera: Beyond science - collaboration, engagement, and identity

Katherine X. Pérez Rivera is an environmental scientist. She came to the Czech Republic in September 2021 to study carbon dynamics in Czech streams impacted by acid rain. Katherine's host institution was the Czech Geological Survey located in Prague, but she spent many days and nights collecting samples and data in the Slavkov Forest, a sparsely inhabited protected landscape area, located in Karlovy Vary Region, famous for its spa towns. During her year-long Fulbright adventure, Katherine had to conduct fieldwork during the winter for the first time in her life. As someone born and raised in Puerto Rico, adjusting to Czech winter temperatures, hiking in a deserted forest covered by snow and wearing snowshoes was a life-changing experience. "Becoming a Fulbrighter permitted me to connect with others beyond my science and field of study. These connections were rooted in the core of our identities, who we are and what matters to us," reflects Katherine when adjusting back to

Pranav Kakulamarri: Say Less

Pranav Kakulamarri is an English Teaching Assistant. He currently teaches English at Gymnázium Tišnov. His host town of 10 000 is located 22 kilometers north-east of Brno. In August 2022, Pranav arrived in the Czech Republic with a BS in Neuroscience from the University of Alabama at Birmingham, a life-long passion for chess and a future plan to become a physician after his 10-month adventure in the Czech Republic. With experience as a chess instructor, a reading tutor and a researcher, he had some pedagogy skills, but no prior classroom experience. Today, Pranav is the Tišnov celebrity - he was featured in the town's paper, people greet him in the streets and strangers initiate conversations with him on train or bus, starting with: "I know you, you were in the town's paper." What is Pranav's magic? Natural charisma, positive attitude, disarming smile, and his ability to listen to others. “What is happiness and how does it differ within a culture? Why does one liv