Přeskočit na hlavní obsah

Anna, David, Elise, Eva, Katelyn, Tylie & Urvi: Fulbright Gets Under Your Skin

Spending ten months
in a foreign country is always a transformative experience. Spending ten months in a small Czech town, far away from the capital, Prague, in a place where you may be the only American (or even the only foreigner or English-speaking person) is a unique cultural experience that one never forgets. Every year, Fulbright Czech Republic welcomes 30 English Teaching Assistants and places them at regional high schools of various types all over the country. Most of the Assistants are recent graduates of different U.S. universities. They want to teach English in the Czech Republic to gain international work experience, to get to know the Czech culture, and to have a year that will be unlike anything that they have ever experienced before. Seven of this year’s ETAs have decided to chronicle their Fulbright adventure by getting a tattoo with a special significance to their host town, region, or their stay in the Czech Republic. Below, you can read stories of seven of our assistants, who can literally say that Fulbright has gotten under their skin.

Anna Zittle, English Teaching Assistant at Gymnázium Pardubice Dašicka, Pardubice, Pardubice Region, population 90,500
 
There is a word that my mentor and I have found ourselves saying almost daily - “uvidíme” or “we will see” in English. This has become my unofficial motto of the year, and reflects a philosophy I want to carry with me when I leave. While teaching in the Czech Republic I’ve learned to take life as it comes, with the understanding that things will work out the way that they are meant to. I approach each day with a plan and the knowledge that “we will see” what really ends up happening. This has helped me take every opportunity to get to know more about my students, my school, and the wonderful city I live in, and I’m grateful that I now have this reminder to carry with me.


David Tallents, English Teaching Assistant at Gymnázium Vítězslava Nováka, Jindřichův Hradec, South Bohemia, population 21,000

The five-petaled rose is an important symbol throughout Southern Bohemia. It was first associated with Witigo of the Vítkovci clan, who became Lord over much of the region in 1184. According to legend, Witigo divided his land between his five sons, each of whom founded new estates across Southern Bohemia under the symbol of the five-petaled rose. This legend was immortalized in the painting “Division of the Roses,” which today can be found in Český Krumlov Castle. From this point on, each of these five estates became associated with a different color combination of the five-petaled rose. My town of Jindřichův Hradec, founded by the oldest son Jindřich, is symbolized by a golden rose on a blue background. Today, the symbol is found everywhere throughout the town, including in its flag and coat of arms. As a tattoo it represents my connection to the South Bohemian region, but in particular to my town of Jindřichův Hradec, and the people who make this place so special. Most of all, it serves as a permanent reminder of the important lessons this year has taught me.


Elise Wulchin, English Teaching Assistant at Gymnázium, Obchodní akademie a Jazyková škola s PSJZ, Hodonín, Southern Moravia, population 25,000

Folk traditions are ingrained in Southern Moravian culture, where my town is located. There are constantly events with community members dressing in folk costumes and coming together to drink wine, play music and sing, share meals, and dance. I quickly realized that the folk culture being preserved in my town and surrounding villages is not experienced by all ETA's. I wanted my first tattoo to represent something special about my time here, to always remind me of my students and the amazing adventures I have had here, as well as connect me to my town and region. Folk traditions are nothing like anything I have ever experienced before, and I will always be reminded of the beauty and kindness Southern Moravia has shown me.


Eva King, English Teaching Assistant at Gymnázium Strážnice, South Moravia, population 5,500 

The minute you enter the small Southern Moravian town of Strážnice, you will notice the folk art paintings. The ornamental flowers are painted on houses, small chapels, and even the train station. If you look closely, you will even see a small bird painted amongst the flowers, which is a specific part of the painting that is traditional to not only the Southern Moravia region, but Strážnice itself. I've recently learned that in the paintings, the heart represents love, the grapes represent wine, and the bird represents being welcomed. Some of the other ETAs in the Czech Republic had inspired me to get a tattoo to commemorate my time here. I wanted something that represented my experience here and the culture that I've been lucky to be a part of. I sent a tattoo artist the pictures of the flower paintings, in hopes that she could design it to be a bouquet with a simple line design. I was amazed with the results and now when I walk in my town, I feel even more connected and at home.


Katelyn Mehlhaus, English Teaching Assistant at Biskupske Gymnazium v Ostrave, Ostrava, Moravskoslezsky Region, population 280,000

The city of Ostrava has a unique history. Ostrava used to be a fairly small city until the population skyrocketed in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s thanks to the influx of people who arrived to work in the new coal mines and steel factories. During this period Ostrava became known as the “steel heart” of the Czech Republic and grew to become the third largest city after Brno and Prague. They mined the last coal within the city nearly 30 years ago, yet the remnants of the industry can be seen throughout Ostrava. My apartment building sits near Důl Jindřich (Jindrich Coal Mine) and from my apartment window I can see the Dolni Vitkovice complex. As the year has gone by I have grown pretty fond of these coal mines. Strangely enough they remind me a bit of home as my hometown of Boone, Iowa has a similar history and today old mining shafts dot the countryside throughout the area. I got the Důl Jindřich tattoo as a reminder that home is never as far away as it seems (that and I thought it just looked pretty cool).


Tylie Olson, English Teaching Assistant at Gymnázium Václava Hlavatého, Louny, Ústí nad Labem Region, population 18,300

If there’s one thing the Czech Republic is known for, it’s beer. My town is located in the center of Bohemia where some of the best hops in the world are grown. As I explored the region I realized the ways this special place has been shaped over time by the cultivation of Saaz hops, which not only makes the best beer, but have left their mark on everything from the metalwork and sculptures of old castles to the beautiful sgraffito designs adorning the buildings. It made perfect sense that the hops should leave their mark on me, too. Now no matter where I go, I will always carry a part of Bohemia and my time as an ETA with me.


Urvi Sakhuja, Reálné gymnázium a základní škola Otto Wichterleho, Prostějov, Olomouc Region, population 43,000

All around Moravia are intricate and colorful floral designs. Although this tattoo does not precisely depict those designs, this floral artwork is what originally inspired my tattoo. On a school trip to Prague in September, me and several of my maturita students spontaneously decided to get tattoos together. I knew I wanted something to represent my time in the Czech Republic and I also wanted something to commemorate my family, as this was the longest I had been away from them. Thus, jumping off the idea of the Moravian flowers, I chose a design that incorporated my parents’ birth month flowers: a daisy for April and a gladiolus for August. I also decided to add a flower bud to my design to represent my own growth during this year. So while this tattoo is not entirely Czech-related, the inspiration and the story behind it is very meaningful to me. Getting this tattoo with my students was such a fun bonding experience, and every time I look at it, I am reminded of both my parents and the fond memories and friendships I have made in the Czech Republic.



Populární příspěvky z tohoto blogu

Czech Prom Season: A Story of a Feathered Raffle Win

Authors: Griffin Trau, Katie Winner, Alanna Powers (current Fulbright ETAs) If you’re an American, chances are we all had similar prom experiences in high school. Usually a few weeks before graduation, boys ask girls to the prom. Girls buy a fancy dress, and boys a nice suit with a matching tie. Prom night consists of about an hour of picture taking with your date and friend group, followed by a ride to prom in a nice car or a limo. The dance itself is about three hours long, and the only people in attendance are typically students at the school with a handful of teacher chaperones. After prom ends, around 10 or 11 p.m., all the students leave and go their separate ways for the night, usually to a post-prom hang out. After attending six (and counting!) Czech proms, I can confidently state that Czech proms are nothing like American proms. At all. My school, Střední Škola Informatiky a Služeb, is a technical school with seven different concentrations of study. Of these seven, s

Pranav Kakulamarri: Say Less

Pranav Kakulamarri is an English Teaching Assistant. He currently teaches English at Gymnázium Tišnov. His host town of 10 000 is located 22 kilometers north-east of Brno. In August 2022, Pranav arrived in the Czech Republic with a BS in Neuroscience from the University of Alabama at Birmingham, a life-long passion for chess and a future plan to become a physician after his 10-month adventure in the Czech Republic. With experience as a chess instructor, a reading tutor and a researcher, he had some pedagogy skills, but no prior classroom experience. Today, Pranav is the Tišnov celebrity - he was featured in the town's paper, people greet him in the streets and strangers initiate conversations with him on train or bus, starting with: "I know you, you were in the town's paper." What is Pranav's magic? Natural charisma, positive attitude, disarming smile, and his ability to listen to others. “What is happiness and how does it differ within a culture? Why does one liv

Katherine Pérez Rivera: Beyond science - collaboration, engagement, and identity

Katherine X. Pérez Rivera is an environmental scientist. She came to the Czech Republic in September 2021 to study carbon dynamics in Czech streams impacted by acid rain. Katherine's host institution was the Czech Geological Survey located in Prague, but she spent many days and nights collecting samples and data in the Slavkov Forest, a sparsely inhabited protected landscape area, located in Karlovy Vary Region, famous for its spa towns. During her year-long Fulbright adventure, Katherine had to conduct fieldwork during the winter for the first time in her life. As someone born and raised in Puerto Rico, adjusting to Czech winter temperatures, hiking in a deserted forest covered by snow and wearing snowshoes was a life-changing experience. "Becoming a Fulbrighter permitted me to connect with others beyond my science and field of study. These connections were rooted in the core of our identities, who we are and what matters to us," reflects Katherine when adjusting back to