Přeskočit na hlavní obsah

Shailee Modi: Breaking the Ice with Sports in Soběslav

Shailee Modi is one of 33 English
Teaching Assistants who help with English language education at various Czech high schools all over the country. With a Bachelor of Science in Biology, passion for STEM and writing, experience mentoring middle schoolers and, mainly, a life-long love of soccer, Shailee was placed at Gymnázium Soběslav. Her exploration of South Bohemia began in August 2021, when she arrived in the Czech Republic to start her 10-month grant. Thanks to a warm and well-planned introduction by her mentor Romana, who is an English teacher at the Gymnázium, Shailee quickly became a popular celebrity at her host school and in her host town of 7000 inhabitants. It must be her natural positive attitude, "Just Say Yes" mantra, and the ever-present smile on her face that make Shailee a sought-after companion for community events, family activities, trips of all kinds and, most importantly, athletic adventures. During her seven months in the Czech Republic, Shailee has managed to bike over 110 miles in the Italian Alps, participate in a floorball tournament as a goalkeeper, run a night orienteering race, ski both cross-country and downhill, and play hours of soccer, mostly with locals over the age of 60. "Sports have truly been the cornerstone and the main avenue through which I have connected with the community here in Soběslav," says Shailee in the middle of March, curious about what the next three months will bring.

With the whole school watching, I slid toward the player rapidly approaching with the ball, barely able to see anything through my helmet, and blocked the ball from going into the goal. As play continued, I took a moment to wonder to myself, “How did I get here?”

Photo 2: Shailee as a goalkeeper during the Winter Floorball tournament, Soběslav, December 2021.

My experience as a Fulbright ETA in Soběslav has time and time again come back to a shared love of sports. From the very first week that I arrived in the Czech Republic, I started going on runs with my mentor, Romana, attending Spartak Soběslav hockey games, and playing tennis with the English teachers after school.

But, the real inflection point for me was agreeing to go on a four-day cycling trip in Northern Italy with some teachers and students. In the seminars prior to the start of our grants, former ETAs had reiterated the mantra “Just Say Yes,” encouraging us to step outside our comfort zones during the duration of our stay in the Czech Republic. I hesitated for a split second— momentarily concerned with my lack of experience in long distance cycling— but I decided to take the leap. It was the best decision I could have made.


Photo 3: At the end of the 110 mile cycling trip in Grado, Italy, September 2021.

In the week leading up to the trip, I began to realize and appreciate the depth of hospitality of those around me. Teachers who I had just met two weeks prior were bringing biking gloves and caps for me to borrow. Another teacher lent me her bike. One of the English teachers, David, helped me to organize all the proper cycling gear— padded shorts, jerseys, and jackets— from a friend who owns a local sporting goods store. Another English teacher, Petra, went with me to the local supermarket to make sure I took enough protein and energy bars.

110 miles later, the trip itself was a resounding success. The couple who had invited me on the trip, Jitka and Fanda, are teachers at my school and despite neither of them having much fluency in English and me not having any fluency in Czech, we formed a tight-knit bond as we cycled through the Alps. I got to see the Italian countryside in a completely new and unique way, while also understanding the Czechs I was with a bit better. The kindness, grace, and warmth shown to me on this trip is something I will cherish for a lifetime.


Photo 4: Shailee and two of the teachers, Jitka and Fanda, posing for a photo at a waterfall on the cycling path, September 2021, Italy.

After returning from the trip, I continued to utilize the “Just Say Yes” mantra. A few days before winter break, my school hosted a floorball tournament. Each class fielded a team, there was an official bracket, and the winner hoisted a trophy. The youngest class, 1B, invited me to join their team as their goalkeeper. Despite my complete unfamiliarity with the sport, I took the plunge and participated in the tournament. It was a hoot! All of the classes were invested in the outcomes of the matches, and it was exciting to see students excel outside of the classroom too.


Photo 5: Last three teams lined up to hear who will play in the final of the floorball tournament, Soběslav, December 2021.

Floorball is a version of floor hockey with five players and a goalkeeper and is a sport that is quite popular in the Czech Republic. I spent my childhood playing soccer, basketball, and football, but I was excited to try a new sport that occupies such an important place in the hearts of Czechs. While our team did not advance to the finals, it was a memorable day and certainly gave me greater admiration for those who play floorball.


Photo 6: Shailee playing as a goalkeeper for the 1B floorball team, Soběslav, December 2021.

After I returned from winter break in the States, I was invited by some students to join them on a Night Orienteering event. Since the start of the year, I had heard about this sport, but was still a little hazy on the details. Participating in the event seemed like the best way to understand the passion they had for this sport. I took a train to the neighboring town of Tábor where the students picked me up and brought me to the start site. Together, over the course of the hour, the two students, Dan and Kači, showed me how to properly navigate through the pitch-black woods with a compass and a map in sub-freezing temperatures. We ran into another student, Michal, who was actually competing and was running the course, finding and hitting each checkpoint with the electronic monitors we all had. Overall, it was an incredible experience to see and be a part of. Now, when students mention orienteering trainings and competitions, I can recall from my personal experience the agility, speed, and strategic thinking required to succeed.

Photo 7: Shailee using the electronic monitor to track her progress through the orienteering course, January 2022, Tábor.

A few weeks later, two of the lovely ladies I had gone with on the Italy cycling trip, Jitka and Marta, invited me out for my first cross-country skiing experience. Growing up in Texas, winter sports were not the most common offering, given that we do not experience true winters. So I was psyched to receive the invitation to join Jitka and Marta in Choustník for a morning of cross-country skiing. I borrowed some skis and we were off! Many, many tumbles later, I was still smiling! The scenery was beautiful, and the company was even better. I have been downhill skiing before, and I was surprised by how different of a motion cross-country skiing requires. I was told that cross-country skiing became even more popular in the Czech Republic during the Covid-19 lockdown, because the downhill ski resorts were closed. All cross-country skiing requires is some open space and snow so most people can go locally, if they have the right equipment.


Photo 8: First cross-country skiing experience in Choustník, February 2022.

A typical week for me recently includes two early-morning skating lessons and an evening pick-up soccer game. Learning to skate like a hockey player had been on my list since I started going to the Spartak Soběslav hockey games. The ease with which they pick up speed, switch directions, and shoot on the ice made me want to learn even more! David, one of the English teachers, is also the hockey coach for our local professional hockey team and offered to let me come to some of the early morning hockey practices. Tuesday mornings, I get to the rink by 6:30am and learn the basics— feeling the balance of the outer and inner edges, turns, one leg balance, etc.— before heading to school to teach. Thursday mornings, I get to the rink by 7:30am to practice that which I have learned. The rink is empty, the ice is fresh, and the world is quiet. It is beautiful.


Photo 9: At the ice rink early in the morning to practice my skating skills, Soběslav, March 2022.

Since October, I have been attending a pick-up soccer game on Thursday nights. I was invited by Fanda, the Czech teacher who organized the Italy trip, to join him and his friends. Naturally, I am the youngest on the field by about forty-five years, but the level of comfort and satisfaction I get from being around people who also love soccer is immense. None of the other players speak English, but with each smile and high-five, I feel the linguistic gap between us shrinking. The natural camaraderie and teamwork of sports help me forget the cultural and generational differences that separate us.

My experiences in the Czech Republic have encompassed more than just sports — I have a Czech lesson with one of my co-teachers, Vlad’ka, every Monday as well as a crochet night with Jitka and Marta on Wednesdays. Being open to trying new skills and traditions have helped me have a richer and fuller experience here. With that being said, sports have truly been the cornerstone and the main avenue through which I have connected with the community here in Soběslav. I am incredibly thankful that I was placed in this town, with people who have welcomed me into their lives with open arms. Their warmth and hospitality truly has no limit, and it is an honor to share this Fulbright year with them.

In these last seven months, I know that I have built relationships that will stand the test of time, and I am looking forward to seeing what the next three months will bring.

If you would like to learn more about Shailee's experience  in the Czech Republic, check out her personal blog.  


Populární příspěvky z tohoto blogu

Czech Prom Season: A Story of a Feathered Raffle Win

Authors: Griffin Trau, Katie Winner, Alanna Powers (current Fulbright ETAs) If you’re an American, chances are we all had similar prom experiences in high school. Usually a few weeks before graduation, boys ask girls to the prom. Girls buy a fancy dress, and boys a nice suit with a matching tie. Prom night consists of about an hour of picture taking with your date and friend group, followed by a ride to prom in a nice car or a limo. The dance itself is about three hours long, and the only people in attendance are typically students at the school with a handful of teacher chaperones. After prom ends, around 10 or 11 p.m., all the students leave and go their separate ways for the night, usually to a post-prom hang out. After attending six (and counting!) Czech proms, I can confidently state that Czech proms are nothing like American proms. At all. My school, Střední Škola Informatiky a Služeb, is a technical school with seven different concentrations of study. Of these seven, s

Pranav Kakulamarri: Say Less

Pranav Kakulamarri is an English Teaching Assistant. He currently teaches English at Gymnázium Tišnov. His host town of 10 000 is located 22 kilometers north-east of Brno. In August 2022, Pranav arrived in the Czech Republic with a BS in Neuroscience from the University of Alabama at Birmingham, a life-long passion for chess and a future plan to become a physician after his 10-month adventure in the Czech Republic. With experience as a chess instructor, a reading tutor and a researcher, he had some pedagogy skills, but no prior classroom experience. Today, Pranav is the Tišnov celebrity - he was featured in the town's paper, people greet him in the streets and strangers initiate conversations with him on train or bus, starting with: "I know you, you were in the town's paper." What is Pranav's magic? Natural charisma, positive attitude, disarming smile, and his ability to listen to others. “What is happiness and how does it differ within a culture? Why does one liv

Katherine Pérez Rivera: Beyond science - collaboration, engagement, and identity

Katherine X. Pérez Rivera is an environmental scientist. She came to the Czech Republic in September 2021 to study carbon dynamics in Czech streams impacted by acid rain. Katherine's host institution was the Czech Geological Survey located in Prague, but she spent many days and nights collecting samples and data in the Slavkov Forest, a sparsely inhabited protected landscape area, located in Karlovy Vary Region, famous for its spa towns. During her year-long Fulbright adventure, Katherine had to conduct fieldwork during the winter for the first time in her life. As someone born and raised in Puerto Rico, adjusting to Czech winter temperatures, hiking in a deserted forest covered by snow and wearing snowshoes was a life-changing experience. "Becoming a Fulbrighter permitted me to connect with others beyond my science and field of study. These connections were rooted in the core of our identities, who we are and what matters to us," reflects Katherine when adjusting back to