Přeskočit na hlavní obsah

Anshula Gandhi: Learning Czech Outside the Czech Republic? Watch Czech TV Shows!

Anshula Gandhi graduated with a joint major in mathematics and history at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). She has continued to explore how the human brain does mathematics at the National Autonomous University of Mexico in Mexico City and at MIT’s Center for Brains, Minds, and Machines. Since April 2021, Anshula has combined mathematics, computer science, and logic to create algorithms for solving mathematical theorems at the Institute of Informatics, Robotics, and Cybernetics of the Czech Technical University in Prague. Before the transition to the Czech Republic, Anshula had started to learn the Czech language in an original and impressively effective way - through watching Czech TV shows. What are her tricks to become fluent in a foreign language without formal instruction? Why are TV shows better than movies? Read below to find out.  

As soon as I found out I had received a Fulbright to spend time in Prague, I started learning Czech. At first, I felt like any effort to learn was doomed since I was living outside the country and didn’t have any Czech speakers to talk to on a daily basis. But I quickly realized I liked learning Czech a different way – making ten flashcards each day, made from sentences from my favorite Czech TV shows.

I started out with very simple sentences – just choosing the one word in the sentence I didn’t know to highlight and learn:
Photo 2: From the show Vyprávěj. (A flashcard with two sentences in Czech: "Nebavíme se! Soustředíme se!" and English translation below: "We're not having fun! We are concentrating!").

And as my vocabulary expanded, more complicated sentences were within my grasp of understanding, and I could use a Czech dictionary to look up words:
Photo 3: From the show Labyrint. (A flashcard with a phrase in Czech: "Tak já ti tady nebudu dávat kázání, jenom...",and English explanation of the keyword "kázání" below: "preaching.")

…until eventually, I could read simple Czech novels (with the help of listening to the audiobook at the same time, since hearing the intonation of the words made it quite a lot easier to comprehend) and made flashcards from sentences there:

Photo 4: From the book Bábovky. (A flashcard with a sentence in Czech: "Rychle ji spláchnout silnějším proudem vody z hlavy někam pryč." and English translation of the key word "spláchnout" below "wash away".)

Reviewing these flashcards each day allowed me to enjoy the highlights of my favorite Czech TV shows and books over and over. (And full disclosure – I didn’t come up with this way of making flashcards – rather, my “sentence mining” from shows and books was inspired by techniques from the language-learning site Refold).

Where to watch Czech TV in the US?

I was quite surprised by the amount of Czech TV I could watch in the US. Česká televize’s website allows much of its content to be shown in the US, and it has a huge selection of shows (the vast majority of which has Czech subtitles). When I first started learning Czech, when I couldn’t understand anything it all, I made a browser extension that translated their Czech subtitles to English, so I could still understand their shows despite not knowing any Czech.

And to decide what to watch, sometimes I took recommendations from my Czech language exchange partners. Other times, I would go on to ČSFD.cz, sort the shows by most viewers or best rating, and go down the list. (I really preferred watching Czech TV shows over movies, especially at the beginning, since with movies, I had to get used to new characters and a new plot line with every new movie. But with TV shows, I could spend hours and hours with the same characters and stories, and they tended to reuse the same vocabulary over and over, so it was less mentally draining for me).

And so, as I was learning Czech, I ended up watching a bunch of well-loved and popular Czech shows, as well as Czech shows that I personally love despite somewhat poor ratings in ČSFD (looking at you, Neviditelní).

Other Distance-Learning Mechanisms

Of course, I did other Czech-learning activities as well. I especially loved graded readers (I’d recommend Česká čítanka and the graded readers from Czech Step by Step. I also loved going through the textbook Česky, prosím, which had beautiful illustrations and came with an answer key at the back of the book, so it was perfect for self-teaching. And of course, I enjoyed my virtual language exchanges with kind Czech people who patiently listened to me try to repeat the same sentence over and over again five times until I had to resort to saying it in English.

Photo 5: Anshula explores the city of Prague, Spring 2021. (Anshula poses for a picture in front of the Prague Astronomical Clock, tourists in the background.)
 

But…

Oddly enough, I learned the most Czech before actually coming here – most of my Czech learning stopped once I came to Prague. I think it was partly because once I came here, I spent a lot more time absorbed in my research (yay math!). And I also think it was partly because I wanted to form deeper friendships, which was a lot easier when speaking English (since almost anybody’s English is better than my Czech).

However now, after about a year of learning Czech, I’m happy I can understand most of what goes on at shops here in Prague, signs on the street, Czech websites, and casual conversations between friends or at the workplace, and I’m so grateful for that.

At this moment, one of my Czech friends has written a book in Czech, and we’re trying to use our joint-command of Czech and English to come up with the best translation of it into English as possible. It’s wonderfully fun, although I take forever deliberating over which vocabulary choice and word order is the best to use in the translation. It’s unlike anything I’ve ever done before.

I only have a few months to spend in the Czech Republic, and I’m so glad I started learning Czech when I did, because it turned out to be really helpful in my life here.

Populární příspěvky z tohoto blogu

Czech Prom Season: A Story of a Feathered Raffle Win

Authors: Griffin Trau, Katie Winner, Alanna Powers (current Fulbright ETAs) If you’re an American, chances are we all had similar prom experiences in high school. Usually a few weeks before graduation, boys ask girls to the prom. Girls buy a fancy dress, and boys a nice suit with a matching tie. Prom night consists of about an hour of picture taking with your date and friend group, followed by a ride to prom in a nice car or a limo. The dance itself is about three hours long, and the only people in attendance are typically students at the school with a handful of teacher chaperones. After prom ends, around 10 or 11 p.m., all the students leave and go their separate ways for the night, usually to a post-prom hang out. After attending six (and counting!) Czech proms, I can confidently state that Czech proms are nothing like American proms. At all. My school, Střední Škola Informatiky a Služeb, is a technical school with seven different concentrations of study. Of these seven, s

Pranav Kakulamarri: Say Less

Pranav Kakulamarri is an English Teaching Assistant. He currently teaches English at Gymnázium Tišnov. His host town of 10 000 is located 22 kilometers north-east of Brno. In August 2022, Pranav arrived in the Czech Republic with a BS in Neuroscience from the University of Alabama at Birmingham, a life-long passion for chess and a future plan to become a physician after his 10-month adventure in the Czech Republic. With experience as a chess instructor, a reading tutor and a researcher, he had some pedagogy skills, but no prior classroom experience. Today, Pranav is the Tišnov celebrity - he was featured in the town's paper, people greet him in the streets and strangers initiate conversations with him on train or bus, starting with: "I know you, you were in the town's paper." What is Pranav's magic? Natural charisma, positive attitude, disarming smile, and his ability to listen to others. “What is happiness and how does it differ within a culture? Why does one liv

Katherine Pérez Rivera: Beyond science - collaboration, engagement, and identity

Katherine X. Pérez Rivera is an environmental scientist. She came to the Czech Republic in September 2021 to study carbon dynamics in Czech streams impacted by acid rain. Katherine's host institution was the Czech Geological Survey located in Prague, but she spent many days and nights collecting samples and data in the Slavkov Forest, a sparsely inhabited protected landscape area, located in Karlovy Vary Region, famous for its spa towns. During her year-long Fulbright adventure, Katherine had to conduct fieldwork during the winter for the first time in her life. As someone born and raised in Puerto Rico, adjusting to Czech winter temperatures, hiking in a deserted forest covered by snow and wearing snowshoes was a life-changing experience. "Becoming a Fulbrighter permitted me to connect with others beyond my science and field of study. These connections were rooted in the core of our identities, who we are and what matters to us," reflects Katherine when adjusting back to