Přeskočit na hlavní obsah

Student Spotlight Interview: Arvind Kumar

by Chloe‘ Skye
  



Arvind Kumar is a Fulbright grantee in a US Fulbright student program in affiliation with Charles University in Pilsen. He is a recent Duke graduate who took a gamble on a Czech lab trying an experimental surgery technique and was enjoying the manifold benefits of his decision! We discussed stem cell research in the Czech context, his experience taking care of piglets, and how he gets to act the part of a TV surgeon in real life. 


Fast Facts: 
Hometown: Rosalyn Heights, NY
Age: 21
College, Major/Minor: Bachelor of Science in Math and Chemistry, Duke University
School in the Czech Republic: Charles University Faculty of Medicine in Pilsen
Favorite Czech Phrase: ‚asi jo‘ (probably)
Favorite Czech Food: Duck breast with red cabbage

Tell me what your research is about.
I work in a lab that specializes in experimental surgery on piglets using new, innovative techniques and in hopes of eventually translating the results to humans. My professor does research on liver and anything related to the intestinal tract. There’s a disease called sinusoidal obstruction syndrome that damages liver and is a common side effect of chemotherapy in humans. We are trying to treat this by applying stem cells to piglets with the disease and seeing if liver function improves. So far, results of phase I clinical trials are very applicable to humans.

How did you choose Czechia?
It was a ‚windy‘ path. I learned about an international workshop to teach students surgical techniques, and the professor of that workshop is now my mentor. I found out about it because it is similar to my Duke research, which was from a big data perspective, but with a different take because it’s so hands-on. That nitty-gritty detail really intrigued me. I researched it from abroad and the professor and I Skyped a few times. He was really excited and eventually wrote my letter of affiliation.

Do you have experience living or working abroad?
I have never been to Czech Republic before. Unlike the other Fulbright students, who are more interested in Czech culture or history, I came to work in a specific lab. I did spend 2.5 months doing biochemical research in Tokyo, Japan in 2016. I love to learn about the intersection between science and culture in the context of international cooperation. But I have never been abroad so long before. What’s funny is that I may know more about medicine in a Czech context than in an American one. For example, I was speaking with my brother who’s studying dentistry and mentioned the word peritoneum –- he said, ‚Wait, what?‘ [It turns out] it’s pronounced totally differently there. So it will be funny when I go back and start medical school and have to relearn all of the pronunciations.

In the US, stem cells are quite the controversial topic. Can you compare this research in the Czech and American contexts?
Stem cell is quite the buzzword in the American political context. It’s specifically embroyonic stem cells that are the center of the controversy. In our research the stem cells are extracted from the piglets‘ bone marrow and used to cure them, so there aren’t the same political implications. It’s easy to aspirate and extract bone marrow, like blood, while the pig is under anesthesia.

How does your research work?
My mentor Dr. Václav Liška heads a team of eight students. He’s a full-time surgeon, then he runs this lab on the side. He oversees us doing the surgery unless it’s really difficult and he steps in. We all work together and have rotations in terms of taking care of the piglets and getting experience with the operating table. We have a bit of a strange schedule; we do operations 2-3x a week and work roughly from 2pm to 8 or 9pm. Those days get long but my labmates are great and sometimes we go out for a beer.
The lab is state-of-the-art and hi-tech, like you’d expect for humans. Originally I didn’t know what to expect, what my role would be, but we are actually doing the operations – it’s as you see it in the serials, like, ‚Scalpel!‘ (laughs) I am getting so much hands-on experience in surgery. The professor really pushes me to learn about anatomy and physiology.

What has been your biggest challenge?
I knew next to nothing about the medical side of this because I had just graduated with my bachelor’s degree. It was a lot of reading in the beginning to get my footing and be able to have an intelligent conversation about the goals of our research, which was a challenge I welcomed. I’m getting used to the university and lab culture. I take care of piglets, feed them, take blood samples. I also have side projects; for example, alongside a colleague I grow and culture the specific type of stem cell we want so we don’t have to contract with an outside lab in the future. I’ve also submitted a paper for publication on a literature review and I’m waiting to hear back.

What have you gained from your Fulbright experience?
I’ve done a lot of personal development. I’ve improved my coordination skills and medical knowledge. Not all of our research will be processed by the end so I will stay in contact with my mentor and labmates and continue after Fulbright ends. We eventually plan to come out with a paper in 2019.

What has been the most rewarding part of your experience?
I have gained a very different perspective of medicine. I also envision my potential career path differently than I had before. I know that in the future I’d like to be a full-time practicing doctor as well as do research, as a lot of my labmates are now while working towards their MD Ph.Ds, rather than only one or the other.





Populární příspěvky z tohoto blogu

Czech Prom Season: A Story of a Feathered Raffle Win

Authors: Griffin Trau, Katie Winner, Alanna Powers (current Fulbright ETAs) If you’re an American, chances are we all had similar prom experiences in high school. Usually a few weeks before graduation, boys ask girls to the prom. Girls buy a fancy dress, and boys a nice suit with a matching tie. Prom night consists of about an hour of picture taking with your date and friend group, followed by a ride to prom in a nice car or a limo. The dance itself is about three hours long, and the only people in attendance are typically students at the school with a handful of teacher chaperones. After prom ends, around 10 or 11 p.m., all the students leave and go their separate ways for the night, usually to a post-prom hang out. After attending six (and counting!) Czech proms, I can confidently state that Czech proms are nothing like American proms. At all. My school, Střední Škola Informatiky a Služeb, is a technical school with seven different concentrations of study. Of these seven, s

Pranav Kakulamarri: Say Less

Pranav Kakulamarri is an English Teaching Assistant. He currently teaches English at Gymnázium Tišnov. His host town of 10 000 is located 22 kilometers north-east of Brno. In August 2022, Pranav arrived in the Czech Republic with a BS in Neuroscience from the University of Alabama at Birmingham, a life-long passion for chess and a future plan to become a physician after his 10-month adventure in the Czech Republic. With experience as a chess instructor, a reading tutor and a researcher, he had some pedagogy skills, but no prior classroom experience. Today, Pranav is the Tišnov celebrity - he was featured in the town's paper, people greet him in the streets and strangers initiate conversations with him on train or bus, starting with: "I know you, you were in the town's paper." What is Pranav's magic? Natural charisma, positive attitude, disarming smile, and his ability to listen to others. “What is happiness and how does it differ within a culture? Why does one liv

Katherine Pérez Rivera: Beyond science - collaboration, engagement, and identity

Katherine X. Pérez Rivera is an environmental scientist. She came to the Czech Republic in September 2021 to study carbon dynamics in Czech streams impacted by acid rain. Katherine's host institution was the Czech Geological Survey located in Prague, but she spent many days and nights collecting samples and data in the Slavkov Forest, a sparsely inhabited protected landscape area, located in Karlovy Vary Region, famous for its spa towns. During her year-long Fulbright adventure, Katherine had to conduct fieldwork during the winter for the first time in her life. As someone born and raised in Puerto Rico, adjusting to Czech winter temperatures, hiking in a deserted forest covered by snow and wearing snowshoes was a life-changing experience. "Becoming a Fulbrighter permitted me to connect with others beyond my science and field of study. These connections were rooted in the core of our identities, who we are and what matters to us," reflects Katherine when adjusting back to