Přeskočit na hlavní obsah

Creative Writing in the Czech Classroom


By Hallie O’Neill, Gymnázium Cheb


When I applied for my Fulbright teaching assistantship, I said that I wanted to implement creative writing into my lessons. I wasn’t sure how feasible this goal would be, because I didn’t know if my students’ English would be at a high enough level to do so.


Luckily, I’m teaching in a pretty advanced gymnázium, and the level of ability I see in my students quite often astounds me. They are more than capable of writing creatively, and some of them even write in their free time. That isn’t to say they’re totally receptive to the idea, though.


Creative writing isn’t for everyone. Even when I was in high school, there were always students in my writing classes who just didn’t “get” the fun of it, or didn’t find any enjoyment in writing stories and using imagination in that way. It’s no different here. While there are some secret poets or the occasional student who wants to be a writer herself, there are many others who have no interest in attempting it, perhaps thinking they don’t even have the ability to write creatively in the first place.

Sometimes when I tell a class that “we’re going to do some writing today,” I get a few eye rolls and sighs of dread. I’ve consistently seen a lack of confidence when it comes to expressing creativity, and I’ve come to learn that it’s because they don’t get many chances to create in their regular classes.

It’s taken a lot of trial and error, but I’m lucky I’ve had the ability to test-drive all kinds of writing types to see what works well. We’ve written opinion paragraphs, journal entries, emails, short stories, nonfiction, and more. I’ve found that in order to fully engage everyone, small group or partner writing works extremely well, because all members share the role of storyteller and there’s less pressure to create something monumental all on your own — instead, it’s just fun.

One activity that worked incredibly well was something a little nonconventional. I had them write a story about me. The kicker was that it had to be based off of real facts, which they were required to obtain from me by writing specific questions (with correct grammar and punctuation) on small pieces of paper. Like passing notes, I’d write my answer and hand the paper back to them, and with these facts they could piece together their story. Quite a bit of vulnerability was required on my part, but that’s actually what made the activity function as successfully as it did. There was some kind of special thrill for them — suddenly having immediate access to whatever in the world they wanted to ask me about, and I had to tell the truth — that engaged truly every student involved, even the ones who sigh when I say that it’s a writing day.

Another one of my favorite lessons was one about Valentine’s Day, which I paired with a recycled ETA lesson about metaphors and similes. At the end of the class, I had them try to write their own little love poems, and since I’ve gotten to know the Czechs’ dark sense of humor a little more intimately, I wasn’t too surprised by some of their sarcastic quips.

















We’ve also done circle storytelling, where the students sit in small groups and begin writing a story for about two minutes. Once that time is up, they pass their papers clockwise around the small circle, and they write for another two minutes in continuation of the new story in front of them. By the time the stories have been passed around completely and returned back to their original writers, each story’s trajectory is likely much different than they first imagined it would be. There’s all kinds of circle and group storytelling tools out there — I get a lot of my ideas from the British Council, lesson sharing websites, and my fellow ETAs.


One of my most recent classroom endeavors was comic writing. After reading some American comic strips and practicing writing new ones together, I tasked them with creating their own small comic strip, preparing the narrative first with a story map and then drawing the illustrations and filling in the speech bubbles. Again, I was impressed that even the quietest students had something to show at the end of the class period, many of their creations funny enough to stand next to the Peanuts and Family Circus strips I showed them beforehand (but of course keeping that very unique sense of humor).



It’s rewarding and always entertaining to see the creative work they produce. Even more rewarding is to hear from them personally that they are grateful for the opportunities I’ve given them to create. Most of them are completely open-minded to the ideas I throw at them, and I’m so lucky I’ve been placed at a school like this one where I have the ability to do these types of activities. As you can see, they certainly have all sorts of untapped imagination.

Populární příspěvky z tohoto blogu

Czech Prom Season: A Story of a Feathered Raffle Win

Authors: Griffin Trau, Katie Winner, Alanna Powers (current Fulbright ETAs) If you’re an American, chances are we all had similar prom experiences in high school. Usually a few weeks before graduation, boys ask girls to the prom. Girls buy a fancy dress, and boys a nice suit with a matching tie. Prom night consists of about an hour of picture taking with your date and friend group, followed by a ride to prom in a nice car or a limo. The dance itself is about three hours long, and the only people in attendance are typically students at the school with a handful of teacher chaperones. After prom ends, around 10 or 11 p.m., all the students leave and go their separate ways for the night, usually to a post-prom hang out. After attending six (and counting!) Czech proms, I can confidently state that Czech proms are nothing like American proms. At all. My school, Střední Škola Informatiky a Služeb, is a technical school with seven different concentrations of study. Of these seven, s

Pranav Kakulamarri: Say Less

Pranav Kakulamarri is an English Teaching Assistant. He currently teaches English at Gymnázium Tišnov. His host town of 10 000 is located 22 kilometers north-east of Brno. In August 2022, Pranav arrived in the Czech Republic with a BS in Neuroscience from the University of Alabama at Birmingham, a life-long passion for chess and a future plan to become a physician after his 10-month adventure in the Czech Republic. With experience as a chess instructor, a reading tutor and a researcher, he had some pedagogy skills, but no prior classroom experience. Today, Pranav is the Tišnov celebrity - he was featured in the town's paper, people greet him in the streets and strangers initiate conversations with him on train or bus, starting with: "I know you, you were in the town's paper." What is Pranav's magic? Natural charisma, positive attitude, disarming smile, and his ability to listen to others. “What is happiness and how does it differ within a culture? Why does one liv

Katherine Pérez Rivera: Beyond science - collaboration, engagement, and identity

Katherine X. Pérez Rivera is an environmental scientist. She came to the Czech Republic in September 2021 to study carbon dynamics in Czech streams impacted by acid rain. Katherine's host institution was the Czech Geological Survey located in Prague, but she spent many days and nights collecting samples and data in the Slavkov Forest, a sparsely inhabited protected landscape area, located in Karlovy Vary Region, famous for its spa towns. During her year-long Fulbright adventure, Katherine had to conduct fieldwork during the winter for the first time in her life. As someone born and raised in Puerto Rico, adjusting to Czech winter temperatures, hiking in a deserted forest covered by snow and wearing snowshoes was a life-changing experience. "Becoming a Fulbrighter permitted me to connect with others beyond my science and field of study. These connections were rooted in the core of our identities, who we are and what matters to us," reflects Katherine when adjusting back to