Přeskočit na hlavní obsah

Megan Vanaman: Day in the Life of a Fulbrighter

Usually I wake up at the first sound of my alarm in the morning: 6am. Sometimes, on Tuesdays, it takes me longer to wake up. I always say Tuesdays are the most difficult day of the week. Everyone prepares for Mondays to be bad days, but Tuesdays are more tiring to me. I also have the most classes to teach. I should mention that I’m a teacher. I teach History, but I’ve been teaching English in a Czech Secondary School this year. I am from the United States and here working with the Fulbright Program.

I walk to school from my flat each morning. It takes about 20 minutes to walk anywhere in my city, I joke. It helps wake me up, but it also makes me look like I just ran a marathon. So, I need about 15 minutes to relax before my first lesson. The students aren’t really awake until the third lesson anyway, so I try to be extra excited about everything we’re learning, even if it isn’t interesting at all. Sometimes they enjoy the effort, sometimes I might as well be teaching to a wall. Czech students need more motivation than any other students I’ve taught before.

With my students

My favorite part of the day is the long break between the second and third lesson. It is the perfect time to get some coffee from the vending machine at school, even if there are sometimes ants in it. At least, that’s what the students tell me. The days go by quickly when I have three or more lessons in a row. On Tuesdays, I have three, then a free lesson, and then two more lessons. It’s the days when I have a long break that go by slowly. Sometimes I watch Game of Thrones, but I always feel bad when I do that. I should be planning. I should be working on cool new lessons that the kids are going to love.

But, that’s the thing about teaching. You have to be flexible and open to anything happening. Because anything will happen and happen often. Your plans rarely go the way you want in practice. Plus, if I can talk to my students about the newest Game of Thrones episode, at least they’re talking in English and not Czech. I find that the students are much more talkative outside of class. I eat lunch after my lessons in the canteen with the students at least 3 times a week. They talk to me while we are waiting in line, but mostly they complain about the menu. I don’t think it’s that bad. I should show them American High School food. They would understand how lucky they are, then.

After lunch, I walk 20 minutes back home. By the time I get there, my friends and family are beginning to wake up, so I spend the rest of my night on social media. It’s difficult to keep up with what is happening in America while abroad. I use that as my main excuse for being on Facebook all the time. I try to go to sleep early, but that never really works. I’m still tired the next day. But, I would rather be a tired teacher than work anywhere else.

Populární příspěvky z tohoto blogu

Czech Prom Season: A Story of a Feathered Raffle Win

Authors: Griffin Trau, Katie Winner, Alanna Powers (current Fulbright ETAs) If you’re an American, chances are we all had similar prom experiences in high school. Usually a few weeks before graduation, boys ask girls to the prom. Girls buy a fancy dress, and boys a nice suit with a matching tie. Prom night consists of about an hour of picture taking with your date and friend group, followed by a ride to prom in a nice car or a limo. The dance itself is about three hours long, and the only people in attendance are typically students at the school with a handful of teacher chaperones. After prom ends, around 10 or 11 p.m., all the students leave and go their separate ways for the night, usually to a post-prom hang out. After attending six (and counting!) Czech proms, I can confidently state that Czech proms are nothing like American proms. At all. My school, Střední Škola Informatiky a Služeb, is a technical school with seven different concentrations of study. Of these seven, s

Pranav Kakulamarri: Say Less

Pranav Kakulamarri is an English Teaching Assistant. He currently teaches English at Gymnázium Tišnov. His host town of 10 000 is located 22 kilometers north-east of Brno. In August 2022, Pranav arrived in the Czech Republic with a BS in Neuroscience from the University of Alabama at Birmingham, a life-long passion for chess and a future plan to become a physician after his 10-month adventure in the Czech Republic. With experience as a chess instructor, a reading tutor and a researcher, he had some pedagogy skills, but no prior classroom experience. Today, Pranav is the Tišnov celebrity - he was featured in the town's paper, people greet him in the streets and strangers initiate conversations with him on train or bus, starting with: "I know you, you were in the town's paper." What is Pranav's magic? Natural charisma, positive attitude, disarming smile, and his ability to listen to others. “What is happiness and how does it differ within a culture? Why does one liv

Katherine Pérez Rivera: Beyond science - collaboration, engagement, and identity

Katherine X. Pérez Rivera is an environmental scientist. She came to the Czech Republic in September 2021 to study carbon dynamics in Czech streams impacted by acid rain. Katherine's host institution was the Czech Geological Survey located in Prague, but she spent many days and nights collecting samples and data in the Slavkov Forest, a sparsely inhabited protected landscape area, located in Karlovy Vary Region, famous for its spa towns. During her year-long Fulbright adventure, Katherine had to conduct fieldwork during the winter for the first time in her life. As someone born and raised in Puerto Rico, adjusting to Czech winter temperatures, hiking in a deserted forest covered by snow and wearing snowshoes was a life-changing experience. "Becoming a Fulbrighter permitted me to connect with others beyond my science and field of study. These connections were rooted in the core of our identities, who we are and what matters to us," reflects Katherine when adjusting back to