Přeskočit na hlavní obsah

Tara Kolar Bryan: Research, Relationships, and Renewal

Tara Kolar Bryan is an 
Associate Professor of Public Administration at the University of Nebraska at Omaha. Together with her husband Ben and two daughters Juliana and Vivian, she spent the whole academic year of 2021/2022 in the Czech Republic, studying Czech NGOs as a Fulbright scholar hosted at the Faculty of Economics and Administration of Masaryk University in Brno. The preliminary findings from her research suggest that: "Czech NGOs are internally focused; that is, they prioritize the perspectives of staff and beneficiaries in decision-making... [and] provide a significant number of services and community support in the Czech Republic..." However, the Czech NGO sector struggles with lack of visibility and its reputation is: "not as positive as one would expect." On a personal level, Tara and her husband have enjoyed experiencing their international stay through their children's eyes. One of the favorite conversation topics in the family is where their daughters want to study abroad when in college.     

When I began exploring the Fulbright Scholar Program, I never imagined that I would find an opportunity that aligned so perfectly with my research interests and expertise. My experience as a Fulbright-Masaryk Scholar in Nongovernmental Organization (NGO) Management enabled me to do what I love: research and teach about NGOs' valuable and essential work. In this blog post, I provide an overview of my Fulbright experience from two vantage points: my research activities and the relationships that I developed in the Czech Republic.

I study the types of organizations often defined by what they are not. For example, “nongovernmental organizations” (NGOs) are distinguished as apart from the government in the Czech Republic. In the United States, these organizations are called "nonprofit organizations", being differentiated from private, for-profit firms. Regardless of how they are identified, NGOs are mission-driven organizations that promote the public good in various areas, such as human and social services, environmental protection, religious expression, community building, human rights, and the arts.

Photo: Tara, with her colleagues at the Faculty of Economics and Administration, May 2022, at Masaryk University, Brno.
 
In my research I seek to understand how NGOs achieve their missions and social impact. To address the "how" questions, I research nonprofit capacities – the resources, processes, and practices that enable NGOs to be effective. I was eager to expand my research to the Czech Republic because of the exponential growth of NGOs over the last 30 years since the Velvet Revolution. I wanted to assess their capacities to do the work and to understand who NGO leaders prioritize in their decision-making (e.g., beneficiaries, staff, donors, funding entities, community). To do this, I fielded a survey of NGO leaders and conducted qualitative interviews with them and other thought leaders in the sector.


Photo: Tara, presenting at a public lecture, March 2022, Faculty of Economics and Administration, Masaryk University, Brno.

Since returning to the United States, I have begun to analyze all the data that I collected. As a researcher, some of the most exciting findings are the surprising ones, and sometimes unexpected themes emerge. There are a few that I can point to: the preliminary results from the survey suggest that Czech NGOs are internally focused; that is, they prioritize the perspectives of staff and beneficiaries in decision-making. While this is a welcome finding in some ways (as beneficiaries and staff are the most directly impacted by organizational decision-making), this internal focus also has interesting implications for how NGOs are viewed in the community and in broader Czech society. For example, NGOs provide a significant number of services and community support in the Czech Republic; however, many Czech citizens are seemingly unaware that NGOs provide their social services. One of the consequences of this lack of visibility is that the reputation of the NGO sector is not as positive as one would expect. As I dig into the data further in the coming months, I look forward to more fully analyzing the data and publishing my results.

The research support that I received from my Czech colleagues at my host institution was extraordinary. I was honored to be a part of the Centre for Nonprofit Sector Research at the Faculty of Economics and Administration at Masaryk University in Brno. My colleagues were instrumental in connecting me with NGO and foundation leaders, assisting in translating the survey, and answering my many questions. Their support of my research and, more importantly, their friendship were among the best parts of my Fulbright experience. In addition, NGO leaders that I met through my research and teaching were very helpful in disseminating my survey and in suggesting people to interview.

Photo: Tara and her family with fellow Fulbrighters after a concert performed by Bree Nichols and Isabel Keleti, Baroque Hall of the Governor’s Palace (Místodržitelský palác), April 2022, Brno. 

My fellow Fulbrighters made the experience even more special, as I developed friendships and connections with others from different disciplines. I learned from their expertise about the art of Mucha (thanks, Erin!) and experienced Czech music in the most beautiful way (thanks, Isabel & Bree!). I also connected with a Fulbrighter serving in Hungary and invited her to Brno to give a public lecture.

On a personal level, the Fulbright experience deepened the relationships within my family. We experienced new surroundings, created new routines, ate new cuisines, and overcame obstacles that required us to depend on each other for support. Seeing this experience through our children's eyes was rewarding for my husband and me. This experience was the first time that our children had traveled to Europe, so everything was new. I remember my oldest daughter, while taking in the sights of Prague on our first night in the Czech Republic, said to me admiringly, "Mom – wow, everything is so beautiful here." This experience opened their eyes to a world they did not know existed. One of their favorite topics of conversation is where they will go to study abroad when they are in college, a conversation that would not have come up at this time had we not lived abroad.

Looking back on my Fulbright year, I am grateful for many things. Professionally, I made new connections and forged new lines of research. Personally, I learned so much about Czech culture and history and about myself. The most poignant things that I will take away from this experience are the relationships created and cultivated with my Czech colleagues and those with my family that were strengthened by our shared experience.

Photo: Tara, her husband Ben, and their two daughters Juliana and Vivian, November 2021, Prague.


Populární příspěvky z tohoto blogu

Czech Prom Season: A Story of a Feathered Raffle Win

Authors: Griffin Trau, Katie Winner, Alanna Powers (current Fulbright ETAs) If you’re an American, chances are we all had similar prom experiences in high school. Usually a few weeks before graduation, boys ask girls to the prom. Girls buy a fancy dress, and boys a nice suit with a matching tie. Prom night consists of about an hour of picture taking with your date and friend group, followed by a ride to prom in a nice car or a limo. The dance itself is about three hours long, and the only people in attendance are typically students at the school with a handful of teacher chaperones. After prom ends, around 10 or 11 p.m., all the students leave and go their separate ways for the night, usually to a post-prom hang out. After attending six (and counting!) Czech proms, I can confidently state that Czech proms are nothing like American proms. At all. My school, Střední Škola Informatiky a Služeb, is a technical school with seven different concentrations of study. Of these seven, s

Pranav Kakulamarri: Say Less

Pranav Kakulamarri is an English Teaching Assistant. He currently teaches English at Gymnázium Tišnov. His host town of 10 000 is located 22 kilometers north-east of Brno. In August 2022, Pranav arrived in the Czech Republic with a BS in Neuroscience from the University of Alabama at Birmingham, a life-long passion for chess and a future plan to become a physician after his 10-month adventure in the Czech Republic. With experience as a chess instructor, a reading tutor and a researcher, he had some pedagogy skills, but no prior classroom experience. Today, Pranav is the Tišnov celebrity - he was featured in the town's paper, people greet him in the streets and strangers initiate conversations with him on train or bus, starting with: "I know you, you were in the town's paper." What is Pranav's magic? Natural charisma, positive attitude, disarming smile, and his ability to listen to others. “What is happiness and how does it differ within a culture? Why does one liv

Katherine Pérez Rivera: Beyond science - collaboration, engagement, and identity

Katherine X. Pérez Rivera is an environmental scientist. She came to the Czech Republic in September 2021 to study carbon dynamics in Czech streams impacted by acid rain. Katherine's host institution was the Czech Geological Survey located in Prague, but she spent many days and nights collecting samples and data in the Slavkov Forest, a sparsely inhabited protected landscape area, located in Karlovy Vary Region, famous for its spa towns. During her year-long Fulbright adventure, Katherine had to conduct fieldwork during the winter for the first time in her life. As someone born and raised in Puerto Rico, adjusting to Czech winter temperatures, hiking in a deserted forest covered by snow and wearing snowshoes was a life-changing experience. "Becoming a Fulbrighter permitted me to connect with others beyond my science and field of study. These connections were rooted in the core of our identities, who we are and what matters to us," reflects Katherine when adjusting back to